Sunday, February 03, 2008

Good Night Nurse.

You won't see much written about sports in this blog. I was the kind of kid you'd find at the bottom of a pile of jocks, and I preferred books and science-fiction movies to tossing the ole pigskin or hitting the batting cages. I grew up believing that being a Bruins fan and a Red Sox fan was just what you did when you were from Boston, whether you understood what they were playing or not. I liked Fred Lynn, Carlton Fisk, Bobby Orr, Terry O'Reilly and Gil Gilbert (the goalie, not the keyboard player for New Order - although I like her, too). Nobody really remembers Gilbert. He used to come so far out of the net he was like a third defenseman.

Anyway, I was saying that I don't pay much attention to sports. So why am I up at 11:24 on the night the Patriot's had their "perfect" season ruined by Eli Manning, some guy named "Plasticon" or something, and the fact that Matt Light had his head up his ass? I don't really know. This was the first football game I've watched from beginning to end in a long time. And I actually found myself smiling when it became apparent that the Patriots might not (in fact would not) win. I have always liked underdogs. I only wish I had put some money on the hunch I had.

2 comments:

LEstes65 said...

I'm with you. I'm not a sporto. And I actually dislike football. And have the balls to admit it while living in Texas.

That being said, yah. I watched it. The only thing annoying me is that my brother in law is from NY and will probably harrass me over it. The bastard.

Scurvyann (Linda) said...

OMG! GIL GILBERT! OMG!!!

I know Gil Gilbert. We share the same birthday! (different years, sillypants!)

My dad (or sister?) had a Bruins fanbook and I loooooved reading through it. I saw that we had the same birthday and he became my most favoritest Bruin. I even wrote him a fan letter! It was pretty serious.

When I was around 9 years old, my Dad brought me to a Bruins game, just us 2. (I think it was around my birthday?) Gil wasn't playing that day - it was a weekend daytime show - but he was there, resplendent in tight plaid pants.

He wrote in my very own Bruins souvineer book "To Linda, Stay Sweet. Love, Gil Gilbert". He had very nice handwriting!

And very nice pants.